Dear big sister

19:46

Dear big Sister,

I can’t tell you how excited I am to share this blog with you. To tell you about all the little things I love and all the bits I think you might enjoy. Even though we live about 1033 kilometers apart, this way we can be still be close. 




So here is what I want to do: I want to share the happiness and the calm and all the lovely things with you. But I also want to share my journey. You know I have IBS, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and I am still coming to terms with that. Unfortunately, the state of my guts greatly impact my overall happiness and the other way around. BUT. And here is the big but. I promise you now: I will not whine and I will not complain. I am on the road to accepting it and I am always working on finding new way to pick myself up and to still be happy. I want to tell you about the positive things that come out of this. 

For example: Here is an amazing recipe for home-made gnocchi, something I never would have thought of making from scratch, if I hadn’t started the LowFODMAP diet:
Look at these beauties - with walnuts, fennel, rocket, parmesan and olive oil.

Gluten-free, LowFODMAP Gnocchi

340g floury potatoes
1 egg
150g gluten-free flour
25g grated parmesan
A dash of salt

1. Peel, quarter and cook the potatoes.

2. Mash the potatoes and spread them on a baking sheet, to let them cool down faster.

3. In a big bowl mix the flour, the parmesan and the salt.

4. Add the cooled Mach and mix until a nice dough forms. If the ingredients won’t combine at first, keep kneading for a little while, since some of the water in the potatoes will make come out from the movement. Depending on the gluten-free flour blend you use, you might need to add a little bit of water. Do this slowly! Too much and it will get too sticky.

5. On a floury surface, roll the dough into about 2cm thick sausages. Cut them into little squares, flour them from all sides and tadaa! You just made gnocchi. I like to push a fork into them to get the dents most gnocchi have but that is just for aesthetics.

6. To cook them, bring a big pot of water to a boil and add the gnocchi. When they swim to the surface they are done!

Hugs from Zürich - Henrike

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram