Happiness and a Breakfast-Food-Rut

23:21


Dear big sister

When you wrote me your last letter, you said you admire my positivity. Thank you for that lovely compliment (and all the others too). This one particularly stuck with me, since I firmly believe that this is not a character trait, but a choice and a habit. I do try my best to have an optimistic outlook on the world and I have worked to keep it that way. The thing is, it is not that hard. All you have to do is actively focus on the good instead of the bad. Look at this morning for example; there are two ways of telling it:

"I had to get up really early this morning, which was a real pain. Then I forgot to wash my hair last night, so showering took longer than necessary. After that I got dressed, but my jeans had a stain so I had to get dressed again, just to look presentable enough for the office. Next I only had milk and oats for breakfast, just like every day last week, before I had to rush out of the house to catch my tram. I forgot my hairband too. I hate when my hair gets in my face at work. It ruined my entire day."

The exact same morning can be retold like this:

"I set my alarm a little early this morning, so I would have enough time to get ready without a hurry. I took a nice long shower, since it was a hair wash day, which was so relaxing. Since spring has finally arrived, I could wear a nice dress to work, which was just as well since I had a stain on my jeans. Breakfast was a little dull, since I had just milk and oats, but I did sneak in a cookie, which was delicious. I do have to do something about that breakfast rut though... I went off to work, the wind blowing in my hair, ready to take on the day."

Objectively, the exact same things happened in both those stories. But the experience was completely different. Changing your point of view from the first to the second takes practice though. In the beginning, it is an effort to overlook the bad things and focus on the good. It's a habit though. Once you practice it a little more, it becomes natural. I used to be much more negative than I am now, but I wanted to make that change. I actively took it upon myself to choose happiness, instead of letting anxiety and sadness take over. It doesn't work all the time; I still have bad days and good days. To not let the bad ones win, though, I have created a little ritual to remind myself of the good. Every night, before I go to sleep, I write down three good things that happened that day. Even on my worst days, I try to find three happy things that happened. And on my best day I still choose just three. That way, it is not a competition with myself. I never think. "Oh no, I can only think of three things, yesterday I had five, so today must have been a bad day." No. On any given day, there are three good things, big or small, happend.

So here are my three things for today:

  1. I had a cookie for breakfast. I can do that since I am an adult. ;)
  2. I had a good day at work. Lots of productivity with minimum stress.
  3. I solved my breakfast-food shortage, by making banana-oat-breakfast-cups (see the recipe below).

All the best,

Henrike

P.S: Here is the recipe, which got me out of my breakfast rut:

LowFODMAP Banana-Oatmeal Breakfast-Cups


These breakfast cups are perfect for an easy, on-the-go breakfast. They are quick to make too and so delicious! I made mine with coarsly chopped, dark chocolate and macadamia nuts, but these would also go wonderfully with other flavours such as rasperries and hazelnuts or blueberries and walnuts... Really whatever takes your fancy!

Easy lowFODMAP Breakfast cups

Basic breakfast cup recipe:
3 firm (unripe) bananas
3 eggs
160g quick oats
1 vanilla bean
1 tsp cinnamon

Extras:
100g dark chocolate
35g macadamia nuts

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a muffin tray with paper muffin liners.

2. In a big bowl mash the bananas with a fork. Add the eggs and vanilla, and whisk until well combined.

3. Add the oats and the cinnamon and let it sit for a couple of minutes. The oats will soak up some of the liquid to make a more solid dough.

4. During this time, coarsely chop some dark chocolate and macadamia nuts or any other toppings (walnuts, blueberries, hazelnuts) and add to the dough.

5. Line a muffin tray with paper liners and fill the dough into the 12 cups. Bake them at 180°C for about 30 minutes.

FODMAP Serving sizes:
The limiting ingredient here are the quick oats. They are safe up to 23g, which means you can have two of the breakfast cups and still be lowFODMAP.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram